Although “fun” might not be what you immediately think of when thinking about roofing, Old Time Roofing is constantly thinking about roofs. We’ve put together a list of interesting and untold facts about roofing and roofs.
1. Thatch, clay, stone are some of the oldest roofing materials on the planet. Between 5000 and 1800 B.C., thatch was most likely used. It is possible to trace the origins of clay tiles back to 10,000 BC.
2. Because the reed is naturally waterproof and tightly bundled, thatched roofs simply shed water, they are very effective. A thatched roof can shed water and sleet as well as snow.
3. Metal roofing materials are lighter than wood shingles.
4. Metal roofs are less susceptible to lightning strikes than other roofs. Lightning can also be attracted to non-metals, as well. Metal roofs are non-combustible and can protect your home against lightning.
5. Asphalt shingles are an older product, but they are still the most widely used roofing material in America. Asphalt shingles are used in 75% of North American homes.
6. Water tends to move before it dries down. A leak can be discovered twenty feet from where it was originally found in a roof. People don’t pay much attention to their roofs. Your roof is an important part of your home. It protects you from the elements and adds beauty to your home.
7. Flashing protection is the best way to protect your roof from potential leaks. Roof leaks can also be caused by damaged shingles and damage to the waterproofing material underneath them. You don’t necessarily need to replace the entire roof if there is a leak. If the leak persists and does not go away, it could be a sign that dry rot is present. Or, it could be too late. Don’t hesitate to get your roof serviced.
Old Time Roofing has a team of trustworthy, experienced professionals ready to assist you. Don’t forget to get an estimate and that financing is also available. Call us today!
This post was written by Ted Williams! Ted is the owner of A Old Time Roofing which offers roofing in St Petersburg Fl. Ted is a Master Elite Weather Stopper GAF Roofing Contractor, a double award winner of Best Steep-Slope Contractor from GAF, and achiever of Master Elite Consumer Protection Excellence from GAF. He has been serving the Pinellas County area since 1978. Old Time Roofing has a tradition of quality workmanship, servicing residential and commercial properties.